
Coming home from my Endtime Bible Prophecy class this evening, I noticed the wonderful full moon. (Actually, it won't be "full" until 4:02 pm tomorrow.) I knew the "Harvest Moon" is September's moon, so I consulted the internet to find the name of this moon. October's full moon is called, "Hunter's Moon", for this reason:
"Full moon names were bestowed by the Native Americans of what is now the northern and eastern United States. A few hundred years ago, those tribes kept track of the seasons by giving distinctive names to each recurring full moon. Their names were applied to the entire month in which each occurred.
Oct. 14, 2008 4:02 p.m. EDT — Full Hunters' Moon. With the leaves falling and the deer fattened, it is time to hunt. Since the fields have been reaped, hunters can ride over the stubble, and can more easily see the fox, along with other animals, which have come out to glean and can be caught for a thanksgiving banquet after the harvest." {space.com} (I must say, it seemed a little warm for the October "Hunter's Moon", but you get my drift...)

Musing on the moon made me think about the wonderful Moonflower that will soon be silenced by the frost.

"Ipomoea alba, otherwise known as Moonflowers are so called because they bloom in the evening. They have large 4 to 6 inch fragrant, white or pink flowers on twining vines. The flowers open quickly in the evening and last through the night, remaining open until touched by the morning Sun.
Moonflowers grow to a height of about 15 feet. The leaves are rather large which allows the plant to be used as an annual in a northern garden. Propagation is usually by seed. The seed should be nicked with a file and then soaked overnight before planting. Moonflowers should be planted when the Moon is new or increasing in light!" {www.moonlightsys.com}

Here is a cool video of a moonflower opening in real time. If you have never witnessed it, check it out... 1 minute and 32 seconds to witness something amazing that God designed to happen when we are asleep (or not looking) :)
One other thing comes to mind with this post...Another of my all time favorite movies:

Who could forget the famous mother - daughter scene where Olympia Dukakis utters this classic line:
"Loretta, your life is going down the toilet!"

Nighty - night, all! Hope I can sleep with that BLINDING LIGHT in my eyes...

4 comments:
I watched the video you linked of the flower blooming. How cool! I've never seen something like that before in real-time. I pay money to watch man-made special-effects in movies without even knowing all the ones God has made for me to watch for free!
This is very interesting. When I think of "Moon" I think of the song 'Blue Moon" and "moon roof" and of "Moon Unit Zappa" who is Frank Zappa's daughter. And I think of women going into labor, LOL. Believe it or not, I have never seen the movie Moonstruck. I don't know why....oh yeah, I think for cows jumping over the moon! Nice post.
I took the same picture the other night!! I walked out on the deck and there it was in all it's glory. I seldom get to enjoy God's beauty in the town so it was a real blessing for me.
When I think of moon I think of the song Moon River because when I was in high school many moons ago we made a record in choir and I was the pianist for that song!!!
What a lovely flower and video. God is truly amazing. I too think of Moon River - my older sister was in love w/ Andy Williams!
Post a Comment