Audra and Daryl's Wedding...

Emily and Quinton's Wedding...

Lauren and Mark's Wedding...

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Who's right? Who's wrong? (AKA, Who's right? Who's left?)

Tonight I posted a comment on Pastor Kris' blog which, after I did it, I felt might be inflammatory and possibly offensive to some Obama people. That was NOT my intent. I very much admired this post by Mike Messerli which I found by following a link on PK's blog. I agree with what Mike had to say there very much!

Election time can be a heated time for people who follow these things. My father is a prime example. He has been a die hard Democrat for as long as I can remember. The world's total ills can be blamed on Bush and all the Republicans since they came into existence in 1854 as far as he is concerned! My Dad and I have always shared the same political views (with the exception of the ONE TIME I voted Republican. My pastor at that time told his congregation we should vote our conscience and not our pocketbook...Clinton was in office and the economy, stupid, was in GREAT shape!) However, this year, Dad and I are not on the same page, politically speaking.
This year, I honestly DO NOT see any difference in the two political parties. They CLAIM they have all the answers to the problems created by the other party...They CLAIM the other party is to blame for what is wrong with this country. It just goes on and on and on, ad nauseum.

Watching the convention tonight, I was just amazed at the looks on the delegates' faces. Watching them, they just seemed to be in utter rapture at the thought of their party's innate ability to right all these wrongs. I just watched (with pity) these people who think Obama and the Democratic Party will truly be able to "set things right", not only in the US, but around the world as well. As we used to say in the 70s, "Are they stoned, or stupid????" I know that is very insensitive of me, but that is how I feel...And the ironic part is...I used to be just like them! I was looking for an answer to the injustices of the world to be solved by a person, political party, etc. Now I know God is the ONLY answer to this country's (and the world's) sorry state of affairs. He will establish His kingdom on this earth and abolish the corrupt kingdoms of this world.

"And in the days of these kings shall the God of heaven set up a kingdom, which shall never be destroyed: and the kingdom shall not be left to other people, but it shall break in pieces and comsume all these kingdoms, and it shall stand for ever." Daniel 2:44

Of course, until that happens, we are commanded to pray for our country and its leaders. Ultimately, God puts in control who HE wants in control. (In the meantime, we will be subjected to more political conventions and political ads...LOTS more political ads!)

IMHO, when the Republican convention begins on September 1st, it will be pretty much a carbon copy of what we have been witnessing this week. Exceptions will be there, of course, such as what I posted about on Pastor Kris' blog. The war on terror, the economy, education, abortion, gay marriage, etc, etc, etc will be discussed. Blame will be placed squarely on the other party. In the end, everyone will have to make up their own minds as to "the lesser of two evils". At least, that is how I see it this year. My only dilemma in this election is, do I want to "make a statement" about the futility of a 2 party system, or possibly "waste" my vote by voting for a write in candidate. I haven't figured it out yet...

(I DO wish I had this button, though!)



GOD BLESS THE USA!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree that God is the ONLY answer. I was reading Psalm 72 tonight and I learned that God desires all who rule under him to be righteous and just. That tells me we really need to be praying for our leaders! We don't do that enough. We pray for ourselves and our loved ones but do we pray for our leaders, or complain about them?? I'm guilty....I don't pray like I should for our leaders...in our country or others:(