Audra and Daryl's Wedding...

Emily and Quinton's Wedding...

Lauren and Mark's Wedding...

Sunday, May 24, 2009

Memorial Day musings...





Just taking a time out from my holiday weekend to sit down and blog. So far it has been a very relaxing (and a MUCH needed) break from work!

Last year I posted this on Memorial Day with this picture of the World War II Memorial in honor of my Dad.



Thank you to all the veterans who fought, sacrificed and died for our country...even if the DHS now says that returning Iraqi war veterans may be potential terrorist threats! (but that is another post for another day...)

When I was a child, there was only one day a year that we were "allowed" to miss church. That was Memorial Day Sunday. It was almost like a family reunion every year with relatives coming from all over...even up from Kentucky to visit the graves of loved ones who had migrated north.

My grandmother lost 3 children under the age of 2. She always had "store bought" wreaths for their graves. For the rest of the many other graves we visited (at different cemeteries across Franklin County), she always made beautiful bouquets from flowers from our yard. She saved coffee cans throughout the year and covered them with aluminum foil, took the fresh floral arrangements to the graves and we always made sure they were full of water before we left.

Here is the final resting place of my beloved Grandma and Grandpa McQueen whom my parents and I lived with on our farm until I was 9.





Apparently my uncle (Grandma's only surving "child") hadn't been there to decorate yet.
I sure hope he and my Aunt haven't abandoned the tradition...I am sure my Grandma would be displeased with him.


My mother is buried right beside them. Both of my grandparents outlived my Mother. My Grandmother never got over it. After we moved out of their home, we moved...across the road. My mom and Grandmother were very, very close...They did everything together, including tending to a HUGE garden and canning everything they could get their hands on in the summer.




On June 12th, it will be 30 years since my mother died. I still miss her so much...


Decorating graves on Memorial Day is just the way in which I was raised. Jim just doesn't understand why Memorial Day is such a big deal to me...His family didn't observe it I guess. My parents and Grandparents knew our family members weren't literally in the grave...it is just a once a year remembrance of them, their lives and how much they meant to us, I guess.


My Dad, stepmother and I decorated this year. This is his family's burial plot:



Here is Dad decorating his grandparents' grave (check out the dates)







Here are my Dad's parents' graves (my other set of Grandparents).




This is my Dad's older brother's grave. Uncle Ben died in his early 40s of muscular dystrophy. He and my dad were best friends. I don't think Dad ever got over his death entirely.






Here is a picture of my Dad and his garden I took yesterday. He will be 87 years old this July. You might remember he fell on the ice last winter, broke 2 ribs and punctured a lung. He is getting around VERY WELL in spite of everything. I can't believe he has the energy to put out a garden! Granted, it is smaller than in years past, but still...




The following are some pictures taken in our yard this weekend. I have SOOOO much to do in it, but we are working on cleaning out our basement and garage. YUCK!!! No fun at all.


Here are a couple pictures of our Columbine plant. I really like the color. {You can double click on all these pictures for a much better view}









Next are some of our Irises. (my FAVORITE FLOWER)











Here are some other flowers blooming right now...




















Hope you are all having a WONDERFUL holiday weekend!


5 comments:

Unknown said...

Sue,

I think it's wonderful how you and your father get together to remember your loved ones who have passed on. I'm sorry to say that Jack and I are more like Jim on this one. You know that mom and I went to Kentucky last week to see the old homesteads and believe me there was lots of rememberance going on, but we didn't stop to visit one cemetary. I guess it's all about how you were raised. I did pull my dads service picture out of a box last night and I have it pinned to the bullentin board in front of me. I know how you feel about missing your mother....

I hope you enjoy your last day off work.

Anonymous said...

It is a weekend for remembering those we've lost. I also enjoyed seeing your dad and his garden and all your pretty flowers. The columbines are my favorite. Wishing you peaceful, sweet memories today.

Greg P. said...

Hi Sue:

I think it was very normal the way you spent Memorial Day. We did the same thing as I was growing up. We usually started by walking 3 blocks to the VFW Hall. Outside they always had a service and then we'd go to the cemeteries and decorate graves. If you remember, it used to be called Decoration Day.

I think all the flowers look great! I think your dad looks great also! He's got a very kind look about him. God bless him. Thank you for sharing this.

Sue said...

Hey, Greg,

Check your last post...

And thanks for the sweet comment about my Dad.

Old Centennial Farmhouse said...

I think it's good to remember "decoration day" as my dad called it. He's been gone thirteen years now! Your dad is so cute...I love his pipe, and it reminds me of my grandpa...he smoked one, too! I give him credit for going ahead with the garden in spite of his troubles, that's the sign of a good American fighting through and keepin' on goin'! That's how we got such a great country!
XOXO
Joni