
Here are some excerpts from the cover story of Newsweek magazine, December 15, 2008
{Let's try for a minute to take the religious conservatives at their word and define marriage as the Bible does. Shall we look to Abraham, the great patriarch, who slept with his servant when he discovered his beloved wife Sarah was infertile? Or to Jacob, who fathered children with four different women (two sisters and their servants)? Abraham, Jacob, David, Solomon and the kings of Judah and Israel—all these fathers and heroes were polygamists. The New Testament model of marriage is hardly better. Jesus himself was single and preached an indifference to earthly attachments—especially family. The apostle Paul (also single) regarded marriage as an act of last resort for those unable to contain their animal lust. "It is better to marry than to burn with passion," says the apostle, in one of the most lukewarm endorsements of a treasured institution ever uttered. Would any contemporary heterosexual married couple—who likely woke up on their wedding day harboring some optimistic and newfangled ideas about gender equality and romantic love—turn to the Bible as a how-to script?
Of course not, yet the religious opponents of gay marriage would have it be so...
...Religious objections to gay marriage are rooted not in the Bible at all, then, but in custom and tradition (and, to talk turkey for a minute, a personal discomfort with gay sex that transcends theological argument). Common prayers and rituals reflect our common practice: the Episcopal Book of Common Prayer describes the participants in a marriage as "the man and the woman." But common practice changes—and for the better, as the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. said, "The arc of history is long, but it bends toward justice." The Bible endorses slavery, a practice that Americans now universally consider shameful and barbaric. It recommends the death penalty for adulterers (and in Leviticus, for men who have sex with men, for that matter). It provides conceptual shelter for anti-Semites. A mature view of scriptural authority requires us, as we have in the past, to move beyond literalism. The Bible was written for a world so unlike our own, it's impossible to apply its rules, at face value, to ours.}
Read the entire article here:
I don't know about you, but I choose not to take the Bible out of context and to take it literally...unlike President Bush who considers himself "probably not a literalist" when it comes to the Word of God...but that is another post...you can see it for yourself here.
I know I probably won't get any comments on this post with the possible exception of Milah, but that doesn't deter me from stating my opinion on what is becoming the new hot button PC topic. (Like the media is asking, "Is Gay becoming the new Black?" HUH???) Anyway, I realize discussions like this are not comfortable. Sometimes I feel like I am pretty much alone in my opinions and that God's people would rather just ignore what God's Word is being twisted into because it makes them uncomfortable. After all, God IS love , isn't He? God loves the sinner, doesn't He? Would God REALLY send someone to hell over what maybe IS just a gray area?
You can't have it both ways...either God's Word is true or it is false. In my opinion, remaining silent is just condoning the heresy. If I am wrong, then God and everybody else forgive me!

6 comments:
I'm heading over to read the whole article. I appreciate the topics you write about. I don't comment much, but I read and think. Thanks for stating your opinions...keep them coming:)
Thank you, Tammy.
I am glad to know you read my blog and that my posts may be giving you some food for thought. My "little one" isn't at home anymore so I have lots of time to keep up on these sorts of things. LOL
I APPRECIATE your comment very much!
I really doubt Milah's will be the only response. Good post, thanks for making us aware of the Newsweek article - I never read it... especially to learn about what the Bible means :-)
Sue, One of the things I love about you is your zeal for God. I wish I had your boldness.
I know, that you know, that God's Word is the truth. The author of this article, by denying God's word as truth, is unknowingly following satan, and unfortunately he will lead others to believe in his reasoning when they read this article. Thankfully, people like you have the courage to speak up and boldly say, "hey everyone, that's not right!" Thanks for pointing this article out. My prayer is that someone will get a hold of it and have an ah-ha moment.
Matthew 10:32 Whoever acknowledges me before men, I will also acknowledge him before my father in heaven.
I'm glad you have the courage and boldness to speak out!
Love You!
Sue, thanks for all your sweet comments. We did not go to the game today because we donated our tickets to Lighthouse Children's Services. I'm so glad the kids got to see a winner! We donated the tickets to the last home game to a benefit for our friend Ron's son Tyler. Hope that will be a winner as well. Merry Christmas to you and your family. I don't read Newsweek anymore, interesting article. Thanks, Pam
The article's author shows their profound ignorance of scripture in taking the words of Paul out of context. Paul at one time was probably married as he was a Pharasee. His references concerned those who chose to spread his Gospel of Grace as marriage would be a distraction of their mission. I know of no civilized people in history that considered marriage between members of the same sex an option although many pagan societies had no problem with homosexuality. The Word of God is quite clear in these matters and is only a stumbling block to those who strain at gnats.
Wiregrass Steve
Post a Comment