Audra and Daryl's Wedding...

Emily and Quinton's Wedding...

Lauren and Mark's Wedding...

Friday, June 26, 2009

And the tide rushes in...and washes our castles away...

I really don't know why I chose these words from an old Moody Blues song for the name of this post. Maybe because it is late and I am extremely tired...

I know I started a new blog for "all things political", but I find myself back here posting about 2 major developments in our world today. First of all, Michael Jackson. In the end, surrounded by no cheering fans, or adoring crowds. Just a mere mortal after all. Dust to dust. (I do know how his fans must feel...the same way I felt when one of my "IDOLS", John Lennon entered eternity. Totally heartbroken and devastated.) As my friend Greg pointed out in his post, hopefully MJ found true salvation before he died.

What a sad, sad man he must have been...






Second of all, what a sad, sad day for this country. The House passes (BARELY) H.R. 2454, the American Clean Energy and Security Act of 2009. (Do you think they read it? Um, that would be a resounding NO, IMHO.)

According to Ben Lieberman of the Heritage Foundation:

It is clear that cap-and-trade is very expensive and amounts to nothing more than an energy tax in disguise. After all, when you sweep aside all the complexities of how cap and trade operates--and make no mistake, this is the most convoluted attempt at economic central planning this nation has ever attempted--the bottom line is that cap and trade works by raising the cost of energy high enough so that individuals and businesses are forced to use less of it. Inflicting economic pain is what this is all about. That is how the ever-tightening emissions targets will be met.

Of interest to you farmers out there:

Since farming is energy intensive, that sector will be particularly hard-hit. Higher gasoline and diesel fuel costs, higher electricity costs, and higher natural gas-derived fertilizer costs all erode farm profits, which are expected to drop by 28 percent in 2012 and average 57 percent lower through 2035. As with American manufacturers, Waxman-Markey also puts American farmers at a global disadvantage, as other food-exporting nations would have no comparable energy-price raising measures in place.

To read the rest of this article...and believe me, you should...go here

Thanks, Sue for the link...

Well, it's late and we have a wedding to attend tomorrow so,

3 comments:

Greg P. said...

I wasn't aware of that act that passed yesterday Sue. So many things get passed and I think they wait for a busy news day so as to sneak them by with little fanfare or criticism.

Good post!

Greg

Z said...

Hi, Sue! I hope the wedding's great! ENJOY!

Greg, you're not aware of the passed bill because the media's dwelling on Michael Jackson....an accident? I'm not sure. SO many hours instead of dedicating at least half the time to one of the worst bills that will hurt Americans so badly? Thankfully, it passed by a narrow margin which means, usually, the Senate won't pass it. We have to write our senators and start NOW!

Good post, Sue.....great coverage of this weekend! Till soon..xx Blessings!

Sparky said...

Thank you for posting about the repercussions of the Cap and Trade bill. I'm amazed at how few people even knew about the voting, what it stood for or even that this event was taking place. My flesh is fearful but my spirit trusts in God who is always in control. :o)