Audra and Daryl's Wedding...

Emily and Quinton's Wedding...

Lauren and Mark's Wedding...

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

American Idol...Past due update




I just can't seem to really get into it this year...However, my friend Tonya informed me this morning that she, her daughter and I ARE going to the concert in Indy this summer. It will be fun with Brooklyn. She is 11 and a huge Adam and Allison fan...

OK, so here's the update. The one to go 2 weeks ago was 23 year old Scott MacIntyre, from Scottsdale, Arizona. {The following is from Wikipedia because I felt it was so interesting I wanted to tell you all about him.}

"While not completely blind, he suffers from tunnel vision and has only a two-percent field of vision. He started playing the piano by ear when he was three years old. He was taught by a neighborhood piano teacher near their home in Redondo Beach, California. At six years of age, he began training in classical music. When Scott turned 10, the family moved to Toronto, Canada. They lived there for four years, and in that time Scott studied at the Royal Conservatory of Music. The MacIntyre family then relocated to Arizona and Scott studied under Walter Cosand, a university professor of Arizona State University. He was home-schooled until the age of 14, when he was admitted into Arizona State University's Barrett Honors College and Herberger College of the Arts. Scott won the 2004 Arizona Young Artists Competition at Herberger Theater in the vocal division. In 2005, USA Today named him one of its twenty College Academic All-Stars. In 2005, MacIntyre performed as a guest soloist with the Phoenix Symphony. The same year, MacIntyre was diagnosed with kidney disease and in November of 2006, he had to spend ten months undergoing dialysis, severely hampering his capacity to perform and travel. In 2007 on August 22, Walter Cosand's wife Patricia donated her kidney to MacIntyre, which saved his life. He graduated from ASU in 2005, and he was received in the White House by Laura Bush as one of the RFB&D (Recording for the Blind and Dyslexic) scholarship winners in 2006. He obtained his masters degree at Royal Holloway, University of London and the Royal College of Music, where he studied on a Marshall Scholarship, one of the most competitive scholarships in the United States, awarded to only 40 American students each year."}

Paula told Scott she was more proud of his accomplishments than anybody else who had ever graced the AI stage. He has a very good voice and was a real sweetheart.



Last week, the judges used their one and only save of the season to rescue Matt Giraud from elimination. Matt has a "jazzy" type of voice and played in a piano bar before AI. (He reminds me of Elliot Yamin from 2 years ago whom I liked very much.)






So that brings us to tonight. Because Matt got the "save" last week, that means 2 are eliminated this week...and it is disco week!

First one to get the boot tonight was a 23 year old mother of 3 from Memphis, TN...Lil Rounds



The judges have been BRUTAL to Lil the last few weeks. They all claimed that even though she does have a great voice, she just can't seem to "make the songs her own"...

Last year's American Idol runner-up, David Archuleta, performed along with disco icons Harry Wayne "KC" Casey (of KC and the Sunshine Band), Thelma Houston, and Freda Payne who performed a disco medley. (Thelma STILL has it, BTW!)

The final elimination of the night was a real bummer for me. It was between Anoop Desai and Allison Iraheta, both of whom I really enjoy listening to. The last one to go tonight was 21 year old Anoop. He is from Chapel Hill, NC and was really starting to show what a great voice he has. Seemingly a VERY sweet kid...

Here is one of his performances...unfortunately, it cuts off at the end! GRRRRRR






Goodbye, "Noopdawg". I WILL MISS YOU!!!


So that leaves us now with the Final Five...My boy Danny Gokey is still in the running along with Adam Lambert, Kris Allen, Matt Giraud, and Allison Iraheta.




3 comments:

Unknown said...

Has American Idol ratings dropped this season?

I watched it last night, but I'm like you, not into it.;D

Greg P. said...

Hi Sue:

I don't watch AI. I just stopped bye to say "hey"!

Talk to you soon.


Greg
(Simon Cowell's alter ego)

Anonymous said...

Even though I don't particularly like the style of the last 6 or 7 contestants, I think they are some of the most talented thus far on AI. Mostly I get a kick out of the old disco stars - that music was so popular when I was in college. Hard to believe how many years ago that was now. I remember when KC was so skinny!

I hope you will have a fun weekend.