
I have seen Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid so many times, I can almost quote it, verbatim...seriously.
Here are a couple quotes that stand out in my mind:
"Who ARE those guys?"
"Think you used enough dynamite there, Butch?"
This is one I use at work, almost on a daily basis:
"Morons...I've got morons on my team."
see that one here: (don't forget to pause my playlist over on the right side first!)
"When it's done, if I'm dead...kill him!" (you will have to pause playlist again)
He made his screen debut in 1954 in the biblical epic, "The Silver Chalice": (Well, it had biblical overtones...)

Though they first became acquainted while working on the Broadway play Picnic in 1953, Newman and Woodward wouldn't fall in love until reuniting on the set of The Long Hot Summer. Following a divorce from his first wife Jackie, Newman and Woodward tied the knot in Las Vegas on Feb. 2, 1958, starting what would be one of Hollywood's longest-lasting unions. When asked why he never strayed, the actor famously said, "Why fool around with hamburger when you have steak at home?" [People]

They remained married until his death...a rarity in Hollywood. In 1990, they both starred in "Mr. and Mrs. Bridge". (Joanne Woodward is a marvelous actress, IMHO)

Newman's only son, Scott died of an accidental drug-and-alcohol overdose in 1978. Of their relationship, Newman said, "I had lost the ability to help him ... we both backed away." In his memory, the actor started the Scott Newman Center, a Torrance, Calif., drug-abuse prevention facility. [People]
Other notable movies include "Cat On A Hot Tin Roof" with Elizabeth Taylor:

"The Hustler":

and later (1986) , the sequel to "The Hustler" saw Newman reprising his "Fast Eddie Felson" role and teaming with my favorite director Martin Scorsese. "The Color Of Money" finally gave Newman an Academy Award. Newman and Cruise...what a combination! How many remember that Warren Zevon's "Werewolves of London" was made famous in this movie? "..and his hair was PERFECT." (Last time to pause playlist, and sorry about the expletive at the beginning of the clip.)

1963 gave us "Hud":

Who can forget the coolest? "Cool Hand Luke": (How many hard boiled eggs could you eat?)

My favorite of his later movies was "The Verdict":

Here is a complete listing of his work...
Paul Newman was a true Hollywood legend of the silver screen. His work will be missed.

ETA: After viewing this poll on the CNN homepage, I realized I had forgotten about one of the all time BEST movies ever! "The Sting"

What is your favorite Paul Newman film?
"Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" 7% 5991
"The Hustler" 5% 4154
"Cool Hand Luke" 27% 23614
"Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" 31% 26915
"The Sting" 20% 17184
"The Verdict" 5% 4100
"The Color of Money" 6% 4866
Total Votes: 86824 [CNN]
Ladies, which one did you think was the better looking of the two...Paul Newman or Robert Redford? I always leaned toward RR, but MAN! What a choice, huh?
One last thing...can't forget the millions of dollars he donated to charities throughout the years:

It started in 1982 with an oil-and-vinegar salad dressing, the signature offering from his Newman's Own grocery line. Since then, the business has expanded into popcorn, sauce and more and has raised an estimated $250 million – with all proceeds going toward charitable organizations. Said Newman (here at the company's 20th anniversary bash), it's "mutually beneficial recycling from the haves to the have-nots." [People]
Thanks for the memories, Paul. I hope and pray you were prepared for the next act...

3 comments:
Sue, I'm sorry for your loss. I can see you were a BIG fan and you are really going to miss him. That was a nice tribute though.
He was a rarity in Hollywood that's for sure. I don't think there will ever be another one like him.
Paul Newman - Robert Redford, that's a tough one. I think Brad Pitt kinda reminds me of them, his looks that is...oh...I'll pick Paul Newman...his eyes reminds me of my grandpa.
Paul Newman was GORGEOUS! They just don't make em like they used to!
Sue, Just returned from the game with my hubby, son and son's girlfriend. I have nothing to say. However, about Paul Newman. What a gorgeous man. When I was young we took a family vacation to San Fransisco and we watched part of the filming of Towering Inferno. As we were leaving on an escalator Paul Newman was going down as we were going up.We were the only people there. My mom ran down the up escalator to shake his hand and speak to him for a moment.He was her favorite actor and she was thrilled.There is no one to match him today even though at that time I thought he was an old man. What an idiot I was! Pam
Post a Comment